These cookies taste just like the pre-packaged mix ones – (they’re delicious and savoury) but without the butter and pre-packaged ingredients. We have been baking quite a bit over the past few weeks and especially during the holidays. We included these as part of our Homemade Gifts during the holidays.
These are my husband’s favourite cookies and they will surely be yours as well!
The recipe includes oat flour and coconut oil and you can add ingredients in addition to those below. It allows you to indulge but in a guilt-free way! We often add in some chia seeds for some added fibre when we make a batch and you can opt out the chocolate chips if you want to make oatmeal cookies. These are a great and healthy alternative to the store bought/pre-packaged mix cookies and will satisfy that sweet craving!
Here is the recipe for Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies via Ambitious Kitchen
2 1/2 cups gluten free oats – we use Quaker Quick Oats (you make oat flour or you can buy it)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 oz your favorite dark chocolate bar, coarsely chopped
coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
For our batches, we prefer to use one of our favourite add-ins some Dark Chocolate Chipits and we opt out the sea salt for sprinkling.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. If you are making the oat flour (we make a few batches using Quaker Quick Oats and a hand mixer and keep it in a sealed container), blend the oats in a blender on high until the oats become a flour like consistency.
3. In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking soda and salt.
4. In a separate bowl combine the coconut oil (we melt it in microwave for about 15 seconds and make sure it does not burn), then combine the oil with brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
Add the dry to wet ingredients and stir so that it forms a dough.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks.
5. Scoop and drop cookies onto a baking sheet using a cookie scoop or a spoon. Bake for 9-11 minutes. For our oven, the cookies are ready at around 9 minutes, you don’t want them to burn.
6. Remove from oven and if you use the sea salt, at this point top it with the salt and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
Make a batch for the week to add to your snacks or enjoy with a glass of milk!
Enjoy – these are delicious and will go quite quickly which is a great reason to bake some more!
What is your favourite cookie?